Remember for Christmas Janet gave me a wonderful 12 month Cake Calendar? Each month has a different cake recipe. So on the weekend I made the Bourbon-Chocolate Tipsy Cake – the January cake.
NOTE: The recipe calls for some bourbon which I didn’t have. When we were on our cruise last spring we bought a bottle of Coffee Rum from St. Kitts. I think if you prefer to omit the liquor you could increase the liquid, which is the instant coffee mixture by 1/2 cup. I added 1/4 cup of the coffee rum and 1/4 cup water instead of the 1/2 cup bourbon the recipe called for.
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 ox. sweet baking chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup instant coffee crystals
2 tbsp boiling water
1/2 cup bourbon
1 cup unsalted buttered, softened
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp bourbon
1. Butter a 10-inch fluted tube pan. Add cocoa powder to pan; shake and tilt pan to coat the bottom sides and tube and shake out the excess. In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. In small microwave bowl combined the unsweetened and sweet chocoltes. Microwave for about a minute. Stir. Microwave in 30 second sets, stirring until melted. Cool slightly.
3. In 2-cup glass measure disolve coffee crystals in the boiling water. Add enough cold water to measure 1.5 cups liquid. Stir in 1/2 cup bourbon – (I used 1/4 cup coffee rum and 1/4 cup water. If you don’t want to use liquor try increasing the coffee mixture from 1.5 to 2 cups)
4. In large bowl beat butter for 30 seconds and then add suar and beat well. Beat in eggs one at a time . Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla.
Alternatively add flour mixture ad bourbon mixture to chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixgure. Beat on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour into pan.
5. Bake 325F about 60 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean. Remove from heat and allow to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack and allow to cool completely. Brush cake with 2 tbsp. of the bourbon (I used coffee rum and you may want to use some more of the coffee mixture instead). Allow to sit for a few minutes and sift powder sugar over cake.
This is a very delicious cake. It is extremely moist and I know you will just love it!! WE sure did.
Have a lovely day… Judi xoxo